Created by James D.F. Hannah
Pseudonym of Chad Williamson
“Christmas was coming… Brenda Lee had been rockin’ round the Chritmas tree so long store cashiers were on suicide watch.”
— opening to Midnight Lullaby
Another “indie-published” private eye, former State Trooper HENRY MALONE makes his debut in the e-book-only Midnight Lullaby (2015). He’s a cranky kinda guy even on his best days — the rest of the time he comes off as just a cold, unpleasant S.O.B.
So it’s probably a good thing he lives out on the edge of town in Parker County, West Virginia, deep in coal country, content to be left alone, living on cynicism, painkillers and a disabilty pension (for his bum knee).
But wouldn’t you know it? Trouble always comes a-calling. And watching the old crab swing into gear was actually more fun than I’d expected. It helps that his good pal (and AA sponsor) Woody is along for the ride.
It may be a tad overwritten, but it’s definitely a cut above most of Hannah’s self-pubbed rivals. And he’s promising us more of the same.Let’s keep an eye on this Hannah guy.
- “…a kind of a mix between Spenser and C.W. Sughrue or better yet, a darker version of Rafferty… What makes this one such a winner is the way Hannah walks the line between the action-packed and witty style of Robert B. Parker with the dark style of say James Lee Burke and Andrew Vachss. He manages to tick every box I like in PI fiction, making me probably his biggest fan.”
— Jochem Vandersteen on Midnight Lullaby
- Midnight Lullaby (2015) | Kindle it!
- Complicated Shadows (2016) | Kindle it!
- She Talks to Angels (2018) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Friend of the Devil (2019) | Kindle it!