The FAQS, Ma’am, Just the FAQs…
Okay, I’ve been pushing the boulder of WordPressing this site up the hill for a few months now, and I think I’ve reached critical mass, at least traffic-wise. It’s now about evenly divided between the old site and the new site.
So we’re caught in a sort of cyber no man’s land. Some links will lead to the old site; some to the new, and we’re still a good ways from a total merge, and apparently it’s caused a little confusion.
But chill. Nothing important will disappear — it will just move to a different place and in the process be updated, cleaned up and otherwise fumigated. A few of my opinions may have changed over the years, and links that no longer exist will be deleted, and twenty year old typos will finally be replaced by brand new ones.
There are going to be a lot of growing pains, as I slowly revamp and transfer a cranky, temperamental twenty-one year old web site over here, but ultimately we’ll have a site that’s an even better and more useful resource for fans of fictional “private eyes and other tough guys and gals who make trouble their business — and not their hobby.”
I wasn’t kidding, by the way, about it being a long, hard slog — I’m only about a sixth of the way through — but as I’ve been encouraged by some of your comments and feedback. Some of you have even sent me some beer money to keep me going… always appreciated.
Right now, there’s no real rhyme or reason as to what gets moved here, and when — it’s all pretty stream-of-consciousness, as I try to figure it all out.
So here’s a few questions I’ve been asked lately…
Why is your site so confusing?
- Because it’s so big? I dunno, it seems pretty simple to me.
On the old site, there’s a home page, a series of links to secondary indices, and then onto the pages themselves, about 3800 of them now. And at the BOTTOM of each page there’s a list of the major links (the indices) again. The secret is to scroll down to the bottom of the page to see it. “Trivia” is the catch-all for all the various lists I have, but I think all the names of all the other links are pretty self-explanatory. And each page DOES feature a link to our SEARCH page. But if you have a specific problem, let me know.
On the new site (that’s this one), there is a series of links and sub-menus at the TOP of each page. For those who miss the old site’s long lists, they’re being recreated under “Browse This Site.” And each page should have a search box down at the bottom left.
How come some images are outlined in red and some are in black?
- Any images you see outlined in red should be clickable.
What’s the deal with the comments section?
- One of the most exciting new features to the site will be the comments section — I’m hoping to hear from even more of you. There’s a comment area at the bottom of each page. If you have a comment, feel free to do so there. I hope you’ll take advantage, let me know how I’m doing, what I’m doing right, what I’m doing wrong, and what you would like to see here. All comments will be moderated, though.
I don’t want to have my comments made public!
- So don’t use the comment section. If you have something more personal or private to say, or spot an error, please feel free to email me.
How can I promote my mystery convention?
- That’s easy. Just contact me with the details and a relevant link, and I’ll add it to our P.I. Calendar.
You’re a wonderful human being and I want to help out. What can I do?
- There are several ways you can keep us going. You can Fly With Us as an advertiser, you can just slip us a few bucks via PayPal, or you can use our Buy Links to purchase stuff from Amazon or other vendors.
Why aren’t your book prices listed? Isn’t that a bit dishonest?
- That one’s simple. I DON’T SELL BOOKS. The most I do is include a link to somewhere, usually Amazon, where you can buy books or videos or whatever.