Created by Charles Finch
London in the 1870s. Gas lights. Hansom cabs. Gentlemen’s clubs. Fog. And murder.
When the going gets tough, who ya gonna call?
Evidently CHARLES LENOX, a Victorian sleuth, a graduate of Oxford, and a gentleman through and through; a former explorer and Member of Parliament, and currently part of a thriving detective agency.
The inspiration is obviously Doyle, but this is Sherlock Holmes gone upscale. Critics have praised the author’s literate wit and elegance, as well as his detailed historical research, lauding him for bringing Jane Austen, P.G. Wodehouse and Charles Dickens into the mix.
It sounds like an Anglophile wet dream. I’m surprised it isn’t already a show on PBS.
- “Finch is a clever plotter and assiduous researcher. Like Anthony Trollope, he is an insiderís outsider. If you are a mystery addict seeking an escape hatch from the 21st century, check out this series by an elegant writer at the top of his form.”
— Seattle Times on Home By Nightfall
- A Beautiful Blue Death (2007) | Buy this book
- The September Society (2008) | Buy this book
- The Fleet Street Murders (2009) | Buy this book
- A Stranger in Mayfair (2010) | Buy this book
- A Burial at Sea (2012) | Buy this book
- A Death in the Small Hours (2013)
- An Old Betrayal (2013) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- The Laws of Murder (2014) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- Home By Nightfall (2015) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- The Inheritance (2016) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- The Woman in the Water (2018) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- The Vanishing Man (2019) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
SHORT STORIES & NOVELLAS
- “An East End Murder” (November 2011, digital) | Kindle it!
- “Gone Before Christmas” (October 2017, digital) | Kindle it!
Report respectfully submitted by Kevin Burton Smith.