Created by Charles Knief
Drawing favorable comparisons to Spenser and particularly Travis McGee, Caine’s first appearance, 1996’s Diamond Head, won the St. Martin’s Press/Private Eye Writers of America Best First Mystery Novel Contest.
Caine’s creator, Charles Knief, is a pretty interesting character himself. He’s not only a consulting engineer, but an expert shot, a black belt in Kwan Cho Fa, and a mountain climber. He probably licks his weight in wild cats before breakfast everyday, as well.
- “High testosterone is the hook here, it virtually steams off the pages.”
— Parners & Crime
- “Knief creates a good mix of straight sleuthing and hardcore action. Caine’s pain threshold seems superhuman at times but, then again, he is a SEAL. Actually, I miss Travis McGee the most when I read these books. I like Caine. I’m glad he’s around, and I’ll keep reading. I just can’t help thinking of him as a digitally re-mastered CD version of McGee. To me, there can be only one.”
— Gerald So
- Diamond Head (1996) | Buy this book
- Sand Dollars (1998) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Emerald Flash (1999) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Silversword (2001) | Buy this book | Kindle it!